Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Block Lotto Blocks for November

The block for Block Lotto for November is a great scrap buster ;-)

We are to make 12 inch Scrappy Trips blocks.
Bonnie Hunter's pattern can be found on her Quiltville site here:  http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/06/scrappy-trips-around-world.html

The Block Lotto slant is that there must be ONE VERY DARK fabric (think black or another color that is so dark that it might read as black from across the room). Place the dark fabric so that it forms the diagonal that goes from corner to corner.

Other Fabrics - all other fabrics in the block are your choice. This is a great time to use up the last bit of a favorite fabric or to use some of those "what was I thinking" ugly fabrics in your stash. Mix it up and AVOID making monochrome blocks (with 4-6 strips of fabrics that are different values of the same color--in my experience, these are the blocks that will stick out in the finished quilt and be the block that is NOT like the others.
If you make multiple blocks, you can repeat fabrics, just DON'T USE THE SAME SIX fabrics in multiple blocks.


I wansn't too sure about this one, but I figured
"Sophie doesn't steer you wrong" ;-)

So I went about selecting my fabrics and this is what I came up with ;-)





This was certainly an exercise that showed up inaccurate cutting - some of the strips I used were leftover pre-cut jelly roll strips ;-(

Here are my 5 blocks made so far



Thank you, Sophie, once again you have made a wonderful block selection.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely colours Cathy.. nice block which is always so useful to use up your scraps! Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like these blocks Cathy!! Especially the first and last blocks!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, it is most appreciated!